Sunday, August 31, 2008

New York in retrospect



New York on a Sunday has a different feel. Central Park is full of people walking and riding and picnicking, and sleeping, doing yoga – it is the real lungs of the city and the playground for people and their pets. I never realised how big it is. It is very warm, though the humidity has eased so it is easier to be outside.

I did say previously we had managed the metro. A little premature – we set off for Wall St and the ground zero area. We ended up over in Brooklyn as we could not follow the announcement on the train, which normally went downtown. Not to worry, we regrouped and got back to where we meant to be. Wall St is just as it looks in the press. A lot of the buildings have pavement barricades so you cannot get close, and a lot of police seem to be evident. The photo is just beside the NY stock exchange, looking towards Trinity Church which was a focal point for the locals on 9/11

The World Trade area was quiet – they have started to rebuild – people in the area were not talking, just moving quite respectfully past. Photo taking seems too disrespectful. It is indeed sacred ground, no matter what is constructed in the future.

There was Second St market on yesterday – street stalls on both sides of the road for a number of blocks, today it is our street – Avenue of the Americas, or 6th st. Stalls everywhere selling the same things they do the world over. Only difference is the wording in the T shirts.

The hotel room is 43 floors up, so I guess we are a little far to hear the sirens at night, but apart from the odd fire truck, I am surprised at not hearing more police sirens particularly. There are signs in the streets – no honking – you are fined quite heavily. An effort in reducing noise pollution I guess.

We leave tomorrow and I will not be teary the way I am when flying out of UK. New York has been a fascinating, eye opening experience, but I have to admit I haven’t got attuned to its character. I am doing it a great injustice, I guess. You would need to spend a long time here to get the personality and rhythm that is this unique and fast moving city. It would need a great deal of energy to handle that. There are world class art galleries and museums , theatre and style to be explored, but three days does not permit that level of exploration. (particularly when you hit the city on a holiday weekend, and the US Open being held. This hotel alone is probably the biggest we have ever stayed in and is full – the lobby is packed all the time with people coming and going.

So we will pack and move on for more adventures

More soon

2 comments:

Oops.. I deleted my blog!! said...

Libby, I have loved your quick but concise observations of New York.
I have 4 uncles there and last time I went there I was 18......
your memoirs but back many memories of being in New York, time for a revist I think..
Have Fun and keep up the wonderful,imfomative and entertaining writing xo Rose
PS I have vacumn sealed some olives for you so you dont miss out!

Trev said...

Hi Libby,

You've had a very simmilar reaction to mine about being in New York. It is so overwhelming and I really noticed the lack of open spaces. Your post brought back a lock of memories - especially the "don't honk" signs that seem to be on every corner.

Thanks for the brief escapism - but now its back to the Sandringham night shift. Trev