Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Anne’s Country




I have always had a fondness for this part of Canada, though I have never been here. As an Anne of Green Gables fan, these places have featured in the tales, and were known from my childhood. Sydney may be mentioned, though I cannot remember, but the people of this city turned on a warm welcome, and all the locals seemed happy to see us. They gave way generously at traffic crossings, when we forgot to look the opposite way –left then right. The people in the street were friendly, and I even found the mobile library about to depart. She had a rotation of twelve different routes in a pretty old style bus (like a typical American school bus).And of course I checked out the Library – naturally, they were inundated with people off the ship all trying to get free internet. I felt for the Library staff –been there, done that!

There are pretty two and three story clap board houses, gently coloured in complimenting hues, but some also showing signs of the harsh northern winters, with quite a coat of moss on roof and northern sides. There are signs on the buildings at the wharf here - - beware of falling ice and snow. Says it all. The main street is nothing special, a strange feel almost of the Wild West or frontier towns of the past, very wide, and shops without many verandas – I guess due to heavy snow dumps.

I could imagine Anne Shirley feeling at home amongst these friendly people.

More soon

No comments: